Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Man Kills Deer With Bare Hands

Nothing like a story along these lines to get the old blood pumping for “deer hunting season”, which is right around the corner (November 12th):

Now That's Deer Hunting

A Bentonville Ark. Man killed a deer with his bare hands that got into the home by crashed through a closed window:

For 40 exhausting minutes, Wayne Goldsberry battled a buck with his bare hands in his daughter's bedroom.Goldsberry finally subdued the five-point whitetail deer that crashed through a bedroom window at his daughter's home Friday. When it was over, blood splattered the walls and the deer lay dead on the bedroom floor, its neck broken.


Why did the deer crash through the window into Goldsberry’s home? Per Deputy Doug Gary:

At this time of year, a buck that sees its reflection in a window often charges, believing it is fighting off a rival, Gay said.


I think I will stick with my more traditional hunting tactics this year and be in a tree stand with my 30.06 rifle. Although I admire Mr. Goldsberry moxie, and some people might think killing a deer with your bare hands is not that big of a deal, it is in fact a pretty challenging proposition:

"He got kicked several times. He was walking bowlegged for a while," Deputy Doug Gay said.


I get the kicked part and could understand if he got gored by the antlers, but I’m not real clear on the “walking bowlegged” part. Perhaps he had the deer in a scissors lock with his legs while he was breaking its neck. Don’t know but it reinforces for me that the more traditional deer hunting approach is more my speed………………………………………..