Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Best Deer Rifle

It's almost deer season and this year it's also probably time for a new rifle. That's a good thing but also a difficult thing. I have hunted with a 30.06 Remington for the past 4 years and I like the rifle. I kill a deer pretty much every year with it and have not found a shot it's not capable of making. The past few years I have hunted with thick woods to the south of my stand and open field and wooded fence lines leading to my stand to the north. Great spot with lots of deer and the old 30.06 had killed all but one deer I've pulled the trigger on.......

I'm adding a much more open hunting property this year. It's in northern Missouri on the Iowa line and is farm land that has pockets of woods with lots of distinct tree lines, again leading to my stands. Big-Big deer on the property........The shots could be longer than the 50-100 yards I've usually had so I want to do a full evaluation on the new deer rifle purchase. Here is what I'm considering:

260 - 7mm-08 - 270 - 280 - 308 and of course a new 30.06.................................


I like the idea of an equally fast and even flater shooting cartridge in the smaller caliber rifles so that is why I'm looking down the range. I don't hunt elk or moose and probably never will so I'm buying a deer rifle. If I do hunt elk or moose, I'll take my old 30.06 on the hunt............One of the reasons I like my 30.06 is that it can cut through cover to kill the deer, regardless of what the experts say about there being no brush-busters I've have killed one in that manner, which was the only one I asked the 30.06 to take in such conditions. I don't have an issue with the 30.06 recoil but if I can get better results with less kick, well sign me up. Here is my top three if I move off the 30.06:

#
1: 7mm-08: sounds like the flat shooting fast shot I'm looking for.............

#2: 308: basically the same power as the 30.06 with a flatter more accurate flight................

#3: 270: well everyone who knows someone who has one has heard it's the moon..............


It's that time of year to talk about what the best deer rifle is. Any thoughts.............caliber & model required........................