Thursday, May 12, 2005

Bolton Goes To Floor For Vote

John Bolton has been sent to the US Senate for a vote on his appointment to the post of Ambassador to the United Nations

Bolton Goes For Vote

The Senate panel was deadlocked at 9-9 and no official vote was taken after Ohio Republican George Voinovich, refused to vote to support Bolton for the last needed vote to send the nominee to the floor with a recommendation to approve. Voinovich then let Bolton have it, ""I have come to the determination that the United States can do better than John Bolton". He said Bolton was a bully and that "this is not the behavior of a true leader or the face of the United States to the world community." Well he is right in a way, if you want to fit in at the UN then you do have to like to steal, lie and obstruct.

I don't know anything about Voinovich but sounds to me that he is a little weak in the knees. What we need more than ever right now is someone who will go into the den of thieves that is the UN and hold a hard line. The UN does not need diplomacy right now, what it needs is a sheriff and that is what I think we will get with Bolton.

Another strange deal on this was other Republican held out on the vote to leave it 9 to 9. Sens. Lincoln Chafee, R-R.I., Lisa Murkowski , R-Ala., and Chuck Hagel, R-Neb. — were less forceful in their criticisms, but joined Voinovich in withholding recommendation. I can see Chafee and Hagel, they are like McCain left of center Republicans but I don't get Murkowski and Voinovich. I'm sure we will learn more in the coming days. I'm sure the good folks of Alabama and Ohio are asking George and Lisa the same questions.

Regardless I like the Bolton nomination. We need someone to go over to that house of thieves and stand tall and not give them an inch. Time will tell.