Saturday, March 04, 2006

Duke vs. North Carolina - That's College Basketball Baby.......

I'm watching the Duke vs. UNC game this evening. Duke is still #1 (temporarily right now) because my FSU Noles took them out this past week. UNC is #15, and has a young but very talented team (looking scary though - might have a bracket runner). As much as I enjoy beating the snot out of Duke & UNC year in and year out in football, I hate getting a win here and there in basketball against them while losing most. That said, there is no better game and match-up to show case what college basketball is all about than Duke vs. UNC. It is year in and year out the Super Bowl of College Basketball.

I know the folks at Kentucky, UCLA, Indiana, UConn, Louisville, & Arizona will take exception to not being part of the "magic match-up" but purist who are objective will agree with me. If I had to take someone from another country who did not understand the phenomenon that takes over this country each March, making non-betters fill out a bet bracket and gives us "March Madness", I'd take them to a Duke vs. UNC game, and say: get it? I think they would say "yes".....................................

If you have a doubt watch the instant classic that just ended at 10:11 CST this evening with UNC winning @ Duke: 83-76............That's what College Basketball is all about...........................................

---------------Update 3/4-----------------------------------

To totally prove but also put a scare in you on my point see this blog RainbowChicken:

As a further bit of information, I come from a place where college basketball is practically a religion - North Carolina. There are four Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) schools in NC: UNC, Wake Forest, NC State & Dook... I mean Duke, & the ACC always has lots of teams in the top 25. To give you an idea of just *how* nuts it is where I'm from, in 9th grade, we had to memorize all the coaches of the ACC basketball teams.


Well Rainbow Chicken, it's probably not a good idea to require kids to memorize all the coaches of the ACC from a grading perspective..............sounds like we need a law for separation of ACC Basketball Religion and the government of the State of North Carolina................